Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dark Music for Dark Nights

Happy Halloween! Stella is barking with the force of a thousand Great Danes at small bands of smaller children who, quite clearly, are planning to invade our home, las Hermanitas are costuming for a party and door-answering, and I am planning on sitting down for a night of my favorite fall music and some knitting.

Most people would agree that music has moods, but for me, music also has definite seasons. Siamese Dream is the perfect October album. Not just fall, October. On cold nights especially, this is one of my all-time favorite dark albums. "Today" is the song that most people know, but "Mayonaise" is also fabulous (I'm in love with autumn feelins).

New on the list is the Silversun Pickups. Their music has a deliciously dark quality to it. "Three Seed" (Carnavas) and "Catch and Release" (Swoon) are two of my favorites, hanging somewhere in the balance between absolutely beautiful and absolutely creepy. *Shiver*

It may not be cold here in the low desert, but it *has* been getting dark pretty early. Driving home from work, I've taken to playing snippets of Noel Gallagher's Dreams We Have As Children. If I only have time for one song, it's "There's a Light That Never Goes Out." I've never heard the Smiths' original version, so I have no preconceived notions about what this one "should" be--I just know I like this melancholy, orchestra-backed version.

The nights are getting longer--what are your favorite songs for the dark?

No comments: