Friday, March 11, 2011

Observations



1. The Plague is upon us (again). Above are orange buds, and among the natives I have counted cassia, brittlebush, creosote, fairy duster, and desert marigold in bloom, not to mention the California poppies & assorted other wildflowers. Sniffle, sniffle. Lovely.

2. For the first time ever, I got a sunburn *in* the Valley. Monday was a delicious 76 degrees, but quite sunny. Seeing the Cubbies do all us Chicagoans proud was worth it, but now I have to figure out how to get my unburned side to contrast less with the wicked pink of my burned side. Which will involve going outside. And now highs are in the 80s & climbing.



3. I have spent 4, going on 5 days untangling a knot in my knitting. I have seen some messy knots in my time, but this was a knot of truly Gorgonian proportions. The yarn, I believe, is largely to blame. It is Merino laceweight, and I was working with both ends held together. Working from both the center and outside of a ball of yarn often results in tangling, laceweight tangles like no other, and Merino sends up all these little fuzzies when agitated. Add the three together, and voila! you have a nice mess. I cannot claim total innocence--me chucking my knitting straight in my tote bag was a bad decision--but honestly. I worked on untangling this knot. Querido worked on untangling this knot (entirely of his own volition). El Jefe even worked on untangling this knot. And it is *still* not completely untangled.

4. Yes, I could have just cut the knot out. I'm too cheap to waste good yarn & too stubborn to let a knot get the better of me.

5. This week has been a doozy. I could have done with some actual knitting.

No comments: