Sunday, February 3, 2008

Would You Believe?

I don't have a scarf. Well--there's a lime green muffler that was mine about 7 or 8 years ago. It matched with my teal polarfleece jacket. But it's store bought (a quality I developed an aversion to right around when I became a fiber snob), about 3 feet wide (I'm exaggerating, but only a little), and a color of such short fashionability that it could be used to absolutely date an archaeological deposit.

There's also a scarf in the closet that belongs to whoever needs it. It's handknit, but handknit in teal heather when I still got all my patterns out of Kids Knitting.

How sad is that? I have enough hats to last an Antartic winter, but no proper scarf. Scarf season is winding to a close here in the Land of Eternal Summer, but winter will come around again next year.

I hope.

Assuming that, I need a scarf. I have the yarn picked out: a nice fuzzy gray worsted that a dear friend brought me back from Quito. There's no fiber content info on the label, but I suppose I could try Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's burn test (in this book) if I really wanted to know what it was.

The pattern is less certain. I really adore the cowl pattern in Knit Two Together, but the fuzzy presence of the Lime and Teal scarves in the hall closet makes me think I should do someting basic and classic. Something that won't be keeping the other scarves company in the closet in a few seasons.

Ribbing is unbelievably classic. Fall-asleep-while-you-knit classic. Cables are also nice, but I have reservations about knitting cables. They're fiddly. Knitty, usually an excellent source of inspiration, has proved to be too specific in the scarf department.

I know--I already have Quant going, plus a gift knit, and adding a scarf to the needles would push me back to where I was here. There is also that minor detail called school. But there is something about waiting for the bus in the early morning chill that makes me dream scarves...

No comments: